Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Am I A Twit?


Ok - don't answer that. The truth is that I do tweet as part of my day job. Twitter has become one of the most important tools in the PR tool kit because it lets you be part of the conversation about your brand, your company or even yourself.

As it becomes part of mainstream media there is apt to be backlash. It seems to me that the media -- those are the most fervent twitters -- need to be more careful with what they tweet about as it becomes more about them as personalities and less about the publications they represent.

Same for companies. If a company is tweeting, it needs to have the voice of the company, not someone talking about what they had for lunch (unless it is the CEO giving us a taste of his or her personality).

I know I'm not the first to make this prediction, but I wonder what impact twittering will have on blogging? If we get used to posting our thoughts and opinions in 140 characters - who will want to read or write something more in-depth. In our attention deficit world, perhaps we are all twits at heart.

I know my mother will have no idea what I'm talking about when I say "twitter" even if my twitter feed is on the right column. So please take a moment and read today's op ed by Marueen Dowd. I thought she lost it, but she is in rare form today. Read it here.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites